Monday, January 19, 2015

Homemade Watermelon Gummies

 
 
 
As an addict to all things sugary and sweet I was excited to find a healthy alternative! I found it on the website www.meatified.com. They use all natural ingredients. Find this original recipe HERE. Since the new year began I have been trying to cut back on how many sweets I eat. Yea it's not going so well. I am finding that if I completely avoid sweets I only make it about a day and a half before I break down and eat something sweet. The bigger problem is that I am so desperate I will eat whatever I can find. We're talking chocolate chips and peanut butter or leftover frosting! I know it's pretty terrible. However if I have something lying around that I can eat one of to curb my craving I am way more successful. This recipe has been my sweet treat for the past week and it's worked like a charm! With only fruit juice, lemon juice, and honey you have a yummy healthy treat great for kids as well.
 
What you'll need:
4 cups fresh watermelon chunks
6 Tablespoons Gelatin
1/2 cup lemon juice(fresh squeezed is best)
1/4 cup of honey
Candy Mold
 
You can find the cute penny candy jar HERE
 
Directions:
Liquefy watermelon in a blender
Strain the blended watermelon through a fine mesh strainer, discarding the pulp. You will need about 2 cups of juice.

 


 
Divide the juice: Add half to a saucepan and half to a bowl.
Add the gelatin to the juice in the bowl by sprinkling it on the top. Let it sit for a few minutes so that it dissolves the juice. It will solidify.
 
 
 
Gently warm the watermelon juice in the saucepan. DO NOT bring to a boil or simmer! Add the gelatin mixture to the saucepan whisk to combine until mixture is smooth.
Whisk in the raw honey and lemon juice until dissolved.
Pour mixture into molds or pan.
 
 
 
Chill in the refrigerator until set (at least 30 minutes) then remove the molds or slice the gummies in the pan into pieces.
 


 
 


 
These can be stored at room temp or kept chilled in the refrigerator. They are great either way.
You can try many different juices to customize it to your liking, but avoid using these juices as the enzymes in them don't allow the gelatin to set Pineapple, Kiwi, Papaya, Mango, and Guava.
 
 



No comments: