Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Heathly Substitutions + The Most Amazing Granola

Happy New Years Everyone! This is my first post for the new year and I'm so excited! One of my news year goals this year is to lose this extra baby weight. I'm so over it! I wanted to share a couple ways that I have found to shed those extra calories but still keeping the amazing taste.



There are so many healthy substitutes out there I couldn't even believe it. As I was doing some research for this post I was shocked at some of the substitutes you can use its amazing. I'm going to share my 10 top favorite substitutes.

  1. Mashed up Avocado in place of butter or oil when baking
  2. Plain Greek Yogurt in place of Sour Cream or Mayo
  3. Coconut Milk for Heavy Cream
  4. Unsweetened Apple Sauce for Oil or Butter
  5. Rolled Oats instead of Bread Crumbs
  6. Whole Wheat Flour for White Flour
  7. Mashed Ripe Bananas for Sugar when baking
  8. Zucchini Ribbons instead of Pasta
  9. Vanilla instead of Sugar (cut your sugar in half and add an extra tsp of Vanilla)
  10. Stevia for Sugar
I found a website that has 83 different substitutions and some of them I would have never dreamed of. If you are interested here is the link http://greatist.com/health/83-healthy-recipe-substitutions.

I wanted to share this amazing homemade Granola recipe. My co-worker makes it for all our day breakfast meetings at work and I can never get enough of it. It is hands down the best granola I have ever had. Plus it is easy and so much cheaper than buying granola at the grocery store. Here is what you need :

  • 8 Cups Rolled Oats
  • 1 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • Cashews
  • Coconut
  • Almonds
  • Cranberries
  • 1 Cup Honey
  • 1 Cup Canola Oil
  • 4 tsp Vanilla


Preheat your over to 350

Mix together oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cashews, almonds, and cranberries (the cashews, almonds and cranberries you can put however much you would like).



In a sauce pan bring to a boil honey, oil, and vanilla. Once it comes to a boil pour over the oat mixture. Spread in a single layer on a cook sheet.

Place in the oven for 8 minutes. After the 8 minutes mix around and place back in the oven for another 8 minutes. When you pull it out it will still be a little gooey but let it sit and it will harden up. Add your coconut now before it starts to harden.



Repeat the last step till all of your granola has been baked.

We love eating our granola with yogurt and berries but this is just as good as a snack. I could eat a whole bag all by my self. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!



 

No comments: